Frequently Asked Questions
What if I don’t pick up my tree?
There will be no refunds for trees that are not picked up or do not survive after being removed from the pick-up location.
What do I need to do before I plant my tree?
It’s the law to call Gopher State One Call at least three days before digging at 651-454-0002. They will mark buried utility lines for your safety.
Where can I plant my tree?
You must plant your tree on your own private property – not on the boulevard (area between sidewalk and street).
How long can the tree wait to be planted?
These trees have lived most of their lives in containers, so a few more days won’t be an issue. But, the sooner you plant the tree, the better.
What do you do with any trees that were not picked up at the tree distribution?
Any leftover trees that aren’t purchased or picked up at the end of the distribution are given to the Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board to be used in parks and on boulevards for everyone to enjoy within the City of Minneapolis.
Do you have any tips about planting my tree?
Yes – check out this flyer and video. Also, a brochure detailing proper planting methods will be available when you pick up your tree. Please read through it prior to planting your tree.
Things to consider:
- Only property owners of Minneapolis are eligible to participate in this program.
- You may order one tree per property, maximum of three properties.
- You cannot plant on the boulevard (between sidewalk & street).
- It’s the law to call Gopher State One Call (651-454-0002) at least three days before digging. They will mark buried utility lines for your safety.
- You will receive a brochure containing information about tree planting and care when you pick up your tree.
- Save money on energy by planting large shade trees on the west or east side of your home.
- Trees will vary in size depending on species; average between 3-8′ tall.
- Large shade trees should be planted at least 15 feet away from nearby power lines and/or buildings.
- For more information, contact Tree Trust’s Community Forestry Department at (952) 767-3886 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alternatively, the North Minneapolis Free Tree program will again be available this year. To sign up for a free tree that will be planted by Tree Trust in the fall, please visit this page.